Use this as "green" (nitrogen-rich) material in your composter, unless it is dead and dried out, in which case use it as carbon-rich material.
Do not include:
- plants treated with chemical pesticides
- weeds with seeds, as they will grow
- any plants which are diseased or insect-ridden
- black walnut tree materials as they contain juglone, a chemical which is toxic to some other plants
- poisonous plants such as poison ivy
For grass (see details on www.mastercomposter.com), you may want to let it dry out before composting.
About this Tip
Added January 3, 2012.
Last updated February 22, 2012.
Applies to Everywhere.